HomeHistoryAbout UsAchievementsFutureSite Map


History


I F P  OfficeThe history of National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training  goes back to October 17th, 1952 when the Government of Norway, India and the United Nations signed a tripartite agreement. It was agreed that the Government of Norway would assist the Government of India in carrying out a programme of developmental projects to contribute to the furtherance of the economic and social welfare of the people of India. The Supplementary Agreement signed on 24th January, 1953 gave shape to an INDO NORWEGIAN PROJECT for fisheries and fishermen community development at Neendakara in the then Travancore - Cochin State (present Kerala State). The activities of the Indo-Norwegian Project at Neendakara was subsequently extended to Cochin with the establishment of a fishing centre in 1957 under the Second Supplementary Agreement signed on 21st April 1956. The Project continued to be administered by the State Government under the supervision of the Government of India. This was done in consultation with the Norwegian representatives till 1st April 1963. With the extension of the activities of the Project to the adjoining States of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, the Government of India took over the administration of the Project. The headquarters was shifted from Neendakara to Ernakulam, as conceived in the Third Supplementary Agreement, which was signed on 27th November 1961.

The main objectives of the Project at Neendakara having been fulfilled, the INP Neendakara was handed over to the Government of Kerala with its different units, such as Health Centre, Ice Plant and Cold Store, Boat Building Yard, Workshop and Premo Pipe Factory etc. in 1963. The Project established new centres at Cannanore in Kerala State, Karwar in Karnataka and Mandapam in Tamilnadu State during 1993-94, in addition to expanding the activities at Ernakulam by acquiring a fleet of modern fishing trawlers and research vessels. The Project acquired new dimensions with the construction of a modern marine workshop and slipway capable of catering to underwater repairs to fishing trawlers up to 250 tonnes displacement - the first of its kind in the fishing industry of the country - and a fish processing cum-training centre at Ernakulam. Assistance was also rendered to the construction of a fishing harbour at Cannanore.

Under a new agreement signed between Government of India and Norway during 1967, the activities of the Project expanded to the new vistas covering offshore and deep-sea exploratory fishing, practical training and demonstration of modern technology ashore and at sea.

On conclusion of agreement with Government of Norway in 1972 the administration of the Project at Cochin was completely taken over by Government of India and the Indo-Norwegian Project was renamed as INTEGRATED FISHERIES PROJECT. However, non-Project aid from Norway in the form of equipment and expertise continued and National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training functioned as the Central Agency for the Import of Norwegian Aid materials and for distribution among other Fisheries organisations. The establishments of the Project at Cannanore, Karwar and Mandapam were handed over to the respective State Fisheries Departments. From 1st April 1972 onwards, Government of India administers the Project and the Project continued its programmes as a Central Sector Scheme under the Ministry of Agriculture. Realising the impact of the activities of the Project on the development of Indian fisheries and the continued need for its developmental activities in the various fields in the fishing industry, Government of India declared National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training as a permanent organisation. Thereafter, the programmes and policies of the Project are framed and implemented under various Five-Year Plans.

Consequent to the recommendations of two committees including Cadre Review Committee constituted by the Ministry of Agriculture to study the working of IFP and made several recommendations regarding reorientation of IFP by transferring some of its sections and activities to other subordinate offices and also redefining the mandate. As a result of this, 58 posts with 100 staff were transferred to   FSI and 20 posts with 25 staff were transferred to CIFNET along with the vessel Tharangini during the last quarter of 2005 vide Order No. 5-16/2002 Fy (T-5) (II)  & (III) dated 19.05.2005. The processing and marketing division, refrigeration section, training section and civil engineering section had been retained in IFP with a revised mandate.

During the year 2008, The Govt. of India renamed the Project as "National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training"  vide Gazette  Notification No. S.O 937 dated 03.05.2008.  Consequent  on renaming the acronym "NIFPHATT" pronounced as "NIFFAT"  has been selected for the Institute

 

TOP


// Home // History // About Us // Achievements // Future // Site Map //